I first wrote this blog on the NorthStar Blogs at http://northstar.ws/blog. I’m reposting it here because of the shameful and widespread lack of awareness amongst Indians, about school bus and child safety.
Is India amongst the world’s worst countries for child safety? The statistics certainly seem to point in that direction. For example:
- 19 out of 100,000 children in India die of safety-related accidents – the highest in the world
- 41% of child deaths are because of a lack of road transportation safety – the highest in the world
- India is the 6th most unsafe country for children after Sudan, Uganda, Congo, Iraq and Somalia
- India accounts for 20% of the world’s child mortality – amongst the highest in the world, and in an ignominious league of nations such as Nigeria, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ethiopia, Pakistan and China
- 80% of Indians are unaware of the large number of children dying every year in their own country
- 120,000 people die on Indian roads every year in road traffic accidents
- 1,270,000 Indians sustain serious injuries every year in road traffic accidents
- There is 1 death on Indian roads every 5 minutes
That is why we created this video about the abysmal state of child safety in India. We’re shocked, depressed and concerned about how many children are at risk every day, from the moment they leave their homes, to the point they return home.
We urge you to watch this video and share it amongst your friends and family.